May 22, 2009

Drought Tolerant Gardening - Chinese Peony Flowers

In Japan Paeonia suffruticosa is called the "The King of Flowers" and Paeonia lactiflora is called the "Prime Minister of Flowers". On the pictures here you can see Paeonia suffruticosa = chinese tree peony, and below some tree peony caring tips.

Photobucket
Everything starts from a bud....

Further recommended reading Waterwise Plants for Sustainable Gardens: 200 Drought-Tolerant Choices for all Climates
.... great expectation comes .....



.... and then ta-da-dam! ....
here it is - beautiful and big.


This chinese tree peony (variety unknown) was planted 3 years ago. This is the first bloom I can enjoy.
~~~~~~
Site selection is important to make tree peony happy. Best would be dappled shade or 4-5 hours of direct sunlight in a day.
Watering - don't treat chinese tree peony same as other perennials. Tree peonies have woody stems, so after they get established in the garden, they become drought tolerant. This is why she also doesn't like constantly wet soil. Planting tree peony in too hot spot, that receives too much sun will result with rocket fast flower fading.
Pruning - is rather not required, because tree peony blooms on old stems.
Soil pH 7 or higher.
Mulch it well in zones 4-5.
Hardiness up to -34C / -30F (zone 4).
This post is part of Blooming Friday hosted kindly by Katarina at Roses and Stuff. Hop over and participate.

Further recommended reading Waterwise Plants for Sustainable Gardens: 200 Drought-Tolerant Choices for all Climates 

9 comments:

Eva Linnea said...

Lovely!
I wish you a nice week-end, Eva Linnea

Tira said...

That's a lovely tree-wish I could get one! many of the told time Asian flowers are so elegant.

Annie in Austin said...

Just lovely, Ewa! I had a white tree peony years ago when we lived in Illinois (can't grow them in Texas) and like yours, it was very slow to make that first flower. But after that the numbers increased every year - good luck!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Maria said...

What a beautiful flower and it looks huge. Thank you for sharing, fascinating.

GardenDecorativeItems said...

The flower is beautiful! It's hard to tell exactly how large the bloom is but perhaps 6" across?
Your kitty in the garden reminds me of my own cat.

Jan said...

I love peonies, and yours are gorgeous. I sure wish I could grow them, but, alas, it does not get cold enough in winter for them here.

Jan
Always Growing

Gail said...

Your flowering peony is so beautiful. I have a tree peony that no longer blooms...must figure out why! gail

Katarina said...

I just love tree peonies!
Katarina

Margaret Roach said...

Thank you for reminding me that I have a tree peony (yellow) that I planted not long ago, and it turns out to have its first blossoms this year! Without your reminder, I would not have remembered to go look. Beautiful.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS